Monday, November 30, 2009

“Slice of Life” by Russell Baker

I loved the essay “Slice of Life” by Russell Baker because it was very funny and nonsense. For example, the essay is about how to crave a turkey and it sounds serious, but every time they try to crave the turkey they are doing it all incorrectly. One part that I enjoyed from the essay is “The entire leg should snap away from the chassis with a distinct crack, and the rest of the turkey, obedient to Newton’s law about equal and opposite reaction, should roll in the opposite direction, which means that if you are carving at the table the turkey will probably come to rest in someone’s lap”. I thought that was the best part of the whole essay. From reading this essay you could tell that the author doesn’t like carving turkey and prefers to be watching a football game or doing anything but crave the turkey; therefore, the author comes up with this excuse that the knife is not sharp and will go looking for a knife with his neighbors while in every house the author goes inside the house, and will watch a few minutes of the football game that is going on. The funniest and yet smartest part of “trying” to look for a knife is that when he finally gets home without a knife, the turkey is already done and ready to be eaten; therefore, he didn’t have to do anything and still be able to somehow watch the game. I mean family parties or gathering are not the funniest thing ever but I mean I think every now and then it wont hurt you to spent some time with the family instead of running away with a silly excuse.

In my opinion, I don’t really like caving a turkey because it’s boring and I am not a huge fan of turkey for that we make something way better such as pie or cheesecake. Also I would probably act like the author and start too slowly and without anyone knowing escape from the kitchen and family. I mean I love my family, but I don’t have much to say to them and it gets boring after a while. They love dancing and listening to Spanish music and I strongly dislike all of that; therefore, in family parties I am normally alone in a corner hoping for it to be over soon. I am a very quiet person who enjoys the internet, movies, or things that my family doesn’t like, so we don’t agree or like a lot of the same things. Also, most of the parties have no one of my own age so I feel left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment